Pages

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Mama Twirl

The other day, I wrote a story for More Magazine and submitted it to their website.  It is still awaiting approval, but I wanted to share it with everyone because the words are true and I think Mama Twirl deserves some recognition for being the oldest pole instructor in the world (her words, not mine...age ain't nothin' but a number)!

Inversions are the fountain of youth

Two years ago, I started taking pole dancing lessons at Twirly Girls Pole Fitness in Pleasanton, California.  The owner, Bel Jeremiah, was a little fire cracker.  She was so amazing to watch on the pole.  She showed us how pole dancing was not only sexy and fun, but athletic and beautiful.  I couldn't believe when I found out that Bel was approaching 60 years old (she celebrated her 59th birthday just yesterday).  You would never guess.  She is such an amazing person.  She makes all of her Twirly Girls feel like family.  She creates an atmosphere for women to feel safe and empowered -- to let all of their insecurities melt away and just learn how to dance and let their emotions out.  We asked Bel the secret to her youthfulness.  She told us, inversions are the fountain of youth.  I can only hope to have half as much energy when I reach the age of 60!  I want to thank Bel for giving me a fun place to work out and meet new friends!

*******

If you are a Twirly Girl or know Bel, please leave a comment letting her know how you've been affected by having her in your life.  Happy (belated) birthday, Mama Twirl!  Remember, 60 is the new 30!  :-)

3 comments:

  1. I remember how shy and self conscious I was when I first started and while i'm still working on it, in the last 2 years I've grown way more comfortable with myself - who knows ones of these days I may even wear just a sports bra ;D

    Every time I try to bring someone new the thing I stress the most is that its a wonderful, supportive place where you can surround yourself with truly beautiful people that will cheer even the smallest victories and when you suck they'll point out all your good at.

    Thank you for something I really needed
    ~ sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mama Bel
    An inspiration.
    A place to be that is safe.
    Laughter. Beauty. Love.
    Bel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephanie Nicole le DreamMay 25, 2011 at 1:49 PM

    As the resident "Twirly Gay" or "Twirly Queen"... Bel has made me feel right at home. From the moment I met her, she inspired me to try new things and not be afriad to get "sexy". Her love and spirit shines through everything she does... it is truly because of Bel that Twirly Girls is such a success. Its like Olive Garden... "When you're here, you're family."

    ReplyDelete