Pages

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

The Wonderland Girls

When I went to Pole Show LA in January, I interviewed as many of the dancers as I could before the show.  Today I want to focus on one act in particular.  Four girls performed "Wonderland."  I was only able to interview three of them on camera, so I caught up with the fourth via e-mail and wanted to put their story together here in one place.

“Wonderland” was an Alice-in-Wonderland inspire routine danced by Audra Bennett, Lindsey Kimura, Sienna Spalding and Adrienne Strauss.  Sienna also wrote and performed the music for the piece and created the art in the background.

Lindsey Kimura aka Lindsey X-Pole




Sienna Spalding




Adrienne Strauss



Audra Bennett

photo copyright @malyssasomerville ~ http://instagr.am/p/mgLSP
How long have you been pole dancing?
2 years and some change

Do you teach pole dance?  If so, where?
No, but I have subbed at BeSpun.

What else do you do to keep your body in shape to pole?
Hiking mostly. Although I am starting a new cross training regimen including free weights.

Which trick is your nemesis? 
Handsprings!!!!!!!!!!! I still can't do them. I've landed probably a handful out of hundreds of attempts. haha I will get it by summertime!!

It feels like the pro/competition pole dancers are all going the route of contortion and extreme tricks.  Do you feel like something is lost from pole dancing when it is all tricks and no dance? 
To some degree yes. I feel like that's my opinion and my view on what pole is to me. The more gymnastic dancers are amazing and inspiring, but  my favorite dancers are the ones that blend various dance styles and strength moves to really impart how beautiful pole can be as an apparatus.

What are you looking forward to in 2012?
Coming back from this injury stronger and better than I ever was before in pole. :)

Wonderland performance:



http://www.alloyimages.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment