Pages

Sunday, February 3, 2013

For the LOVE of Pole

This month, for the blog hop, we are talking about love.  That can mean a lot of things to a lot of people.  I struggle with the concept of love.  I didn't grow up with a super lovey huggy family, so I am not super affectionate and loving.  It's something I struggle with.  Don't get me wrong, I can love me the shit outta some cake, but I have a harder time connecting with people.  I have my public persona and my private persona.  And even in close relationships, I have a hard time letting that private persona out. 

So today, in order to avoid some of my issues, I'll be talking about the love of pole.  I have been struggling in my relationship with the pole.  I am not the strongest in tricks, nor am I experienced as a dancer.  So, I feel like I don't have as much to offer when I perform.  I have worked really hard on my flow and being aware of my arms and legs, so that they look "pretty" when I move them.  But most of my performances are all smoke and mirrors to hide the fact that the most advance pole move I usually do is a back hook spin. When performing in front of non-polers, I can still fairly impress people. 

This weekend was a big one for me in my pole life.

Saturday, Sean Michael took over the Triple Tease (Tricks, Twirls and Transitions) class on Saturday mornings.  I had a really great class.  He is so patient and was able to talk me into moves that I haven't been able to do before.  I also learned some new spins.  And he gave me some exercises to help with strength.  I have a list a mile long of pole goals, but I am starting with basics.  I need a strong climb and a strong sit.  I am really excited to get back into a regular class.  Since starting my job in San Francisco, I haven't been able to go to the Wednesday night class.  I want to feel like I am continuing to learn so that I can teach my Monday night class, Boys, Girls and Twirls, some new moves. 

Saturday night, we set the x-stage up for Robert's fundraiser.  I performed in front of a non-Twirly Girl audience!  I performed in front of family and friends!  It was really cool.  I will write more about that later.  It was a really exciting night, though, and it further solidified my love of pole.

On Sunday, I took a choreography workshop with Amber Richard.  I love that Amber is tall like me, and has really strong and beautiful legs.  In LA, she teaches a class called Rock Hard Bodies.  And she has one.  But she's also still very feminine.  You can tell that she's strong and in amazing shape.  But her muscles aren't so ridiculously pronounced that she looks like a man.  Anyway, we worked on a little routine.  Even though I have a lot of strength to build before I can make my moves look like hers (if I ever do...she has a background in ballet and is way more flexible than I am), I was able to struggle into each of the moves she taught, even if only for a few seconds.

I realize I come on here every six months or so talking about how I've found my motivation, but this time I really do need to stick to a fitness routine, which will help me get stronger for pole.  I did join the 24 Hour Fitness near my house and am going to start hitting up some cycle classes to help get this big ol' legs in shape.  I do love pole dancing.  Even though I have been tired and grumpy lately, I love coming to class and smiling and laughing.  So, for the love of pole, I will stick to my routine so I can meet my goals.  Finally!

No comments:

Post a Comment