Pages

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Twirly Girl Pole Dancing Documentary

Awhile ago, Bel mentioned to me that she had been contacted by a girl named Karen about doing a pole fitness documentary for her school project.  Bel said she had talked about me and that Karen was interested in interviewing me as well.  I get excited/nervous when opportunities like this present themselves.  Will I look okay?  Will I say the right thing?  Will I represent pole properly?

Initially, the idea was presented to me as a documentary about pole fitness.  I have talked about the difference between pole dance and pole fitness.  The lines are blurred for me but there is often a distinct difference for those who prefer one or the other.  I wondered if I could properly present a good story about pole fitness when I am not exactly the best representation of society's desired "fit" person.  I pulled on my Health At Every Size big girl panties and said I'd do it.

I chatted with Karen before we met.  She said she'd send me the questions to review prior to our interview.  I had my whole pole dancing story ready in my head, ready to present it in linear fashion.  Then I received the questions.  Clearly, Karen had done her research.  She knew everything about me.  My entire history with weight issues.  My religious up-bringing.  Everything.  This wasn't just about pole dance.  This was about my life journey.  From being a big kid to a fat college student.  This was about weight loss surgery.  It was about re-gaining weight.  This was about health and fitness and pole dance.  This was MY story.  Suddenly, I was more than nervous. 

I cried as I read the questions, re-counting stories in my head from when I was younger and made to feel like I wasn't good enough because I was chubby.  I followed the questions and re-gathered my thoughts.  This interview was going to be WAY harder than I thought!

Tina and I met on two different occasions.  We did talk about my story.  About my weight and upbringing.  And about how pole dance has changed me as a person.  And I didn't cry!  But it was a really awesome experience.  I've been on such an amazing journey, starting with Rita and I meeting Bel in December of 2009, all the way to now, dancing with my class, Boys, Girls and Twirls on Monday nights.  I have met so many awesome people and I thank each and every one for being part of my life. 

So, without further adieu, here is Karen's class project, a documentary about ME!  Please check it out and feel free to leave a comment on YouTube to let Karen know what you think about her project. 


4 comments:

  1. This story brings tears to my eyes...You spoke from your heart, and danced with your soul! Karen did an amazing job...When Karen first called me I knew she had to do her documentary on you because Lori you are truly such an inspiration to so many and we are so lucky you are in our world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mama Bel! But it is *I* who is lucky to have met you and everyone at Twirly Girls!!!

      Delete
  2. Love hearing and seeing your story! I can relate to SO much! I don't know why pole has the effect that it does, but it somehow the perfect combo of elements to help so many people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for watching!! Pole is amazing. Funny how it draws people together unlike anything else. I wonder what that's about?! :)

      Delete